At first they used the dam for their water supply until 1923 when the pipe came through for water. Everyone in the town and around the township got a water supply. Others that were a fair way away from Sutherlands collected lots of water from the township.
During that period of using the dam and getting the pipe through, they dug a well but found the water was salty. The butcher used that water for pickling meat.
People also used underground water tanks as they were cheap to build. If they could afford it, above ground corrugated iron tanks were used for drinking water.