Sutherlands in the 1920's

Schools

Mrs. C. E. Pryor was the teacher till 1926. Mr. A. Wardle was the teacher till 1929. While he was there, he added Woodwork, Agriculture and Domestic Arts to the Curriculum. Mr. H. C. Colebatch was the next teacher. Note: There was only one teacher, therefore the teacher was the headmaster. The assistant teacher/monitor was Bernie Snell and then Mary Byrne.

Sometime during September 1926, a group of teachers took part in a "School of Method", which enabled them to observe and benefit from methods used by Mr. Wardle. Over four days, Inspector Suttony led discussions. On the last evening a Social and a Dance was held.

A special train took pupils and residents to a beach resort. Children had a tin pale and a wooden spade to play with. The train ran from Morgan to Adelaide.

Vera Dohnt, a student, was schooled in one large room with all the other students. If the teacher had to leave there would be a monitor/assistant that would be in charge, but when the teacher was present the monitor/assistant helped her/him.

They did drills in the morning.

The Concerts

The concert was an important social event. The local Mothers helped with costume making, which was very important, because it brought them out of isolation.

In the 1923 concert, all the students were photographed dressed up.

Mrs. C. E. Pryor was the 2nd lady teacher for the school. Her daughter Dolly was a pianist. She taught piano to students and always made herself helpful. She helped with the concerts and with the lessons on singing.

The Music Pupils in 1923 were Stella Thiele, Olga Schiller, Mary Bryn, Frieda Doecke and Bridget Snell.

The Exhibition

The exhibitions were started by Mr. A. Wardle, who was the Headmaster between 1926 - 1929. There were only 2 exhibitions held in Sutherland's. The exhibition's contained displays of schoolwork and prizes were awarded.

In 1927 the first exhibition was opened by Premier Richard Butler, seated also next to him was Inspector Gartrell. Mr. Ben Thiele, the committee chairman, stood next to them. Mr. Wardle, the headmaster, stood with his hand to his chin. The first exhibition had nine schools attending.

There was drill running and fife bands. At night presentations were made followed by a ball. The Director of Education opened the second exhibition which fourteen schools attended - this was attended by Members of Parliament and many inspectors from the Department.

Vera Dohnt, a student, was schooled in one large room with all the other students, if the teacher had to leave there would be a monitor/assistant that would be in charge, but when the teacher was present the monitor/assistant helped her/him.

Mrs. C. E. Pryor was the 2nd lady teacher for the school, her daughter Dolly was a pianist, she taught piano to students and always made herself helpful. She helped with the concerts and with the lessons on singing.

The exhibitions were started by Mr. A. Wardle, who was the Headmaster between 1926 - 1929. There were only 2 exhibitions held in Sutherland's. The exhibition's contained displays of schoolwork and prizes were awarded. There was drill running and fife bands. At night presentations were made followed by a ball. Premier Richard Butler opened the first exhibition, which had nine schools attending. The Director of Education opened the second exhibition which fourteen schools attended - this was attended by Members of Parliament and many inspectors from the Department. The shields, cups and trophies were donated by Harris Scarfe, Eudunda Club, local business owners and other interested people. A decision was made that the exhibition had grown to large, all the exhibitions were then on held at Eudunda.

The Picnic

Children marched behind the school band, past the wheat sheds to perform a drill in front of Eudunda Farmers before reaching the recreation ground for the school picnic. Races were held there and then they sat down to a community lunch, which was complete with white tablecloths and flowers in the middle of each table. The picnics were held in a shed which only had a north and west wall and a corrugated tin roof. After the picnic the tired, children marched back to school.

There were class photos taken which provided list of students in 1920, 1923, and 1929.